Serving Brentwood, Belle Meade and Green Hills Areas of Nashville TN
The temporomandibular joint connects your jaw to your skull. When there is any sort of dysfunction or misalignment in this joint, it causes a disorder known as TMJ or TMD. Millions of individuals suffer from this disorder, which often includes chronic and debilitating pain that impedes the ability to function.
If you suffer from this disorder, the team of professionals at Devine Dentistry can provide lasting relief through our neuromuscular dentistry program.
What causes TMD?
Common causes of TMD may include the following:
- Misalignment of the teeth or bite
- Excess tension in the muscles of the face and/or jaw
- Teeth grinding, clinically referred to as bruxism
- A dislocation of the disc between the ball and socket of the temporomandibular joint
- Arthritis in the temporomandibular joint
- Injury to face
What symptoms does a patient with TMD experience?
- Jaw pain
- Facial pain
- Clicking or popping jaw
- Locked jaw joint, or limited range of motion in the jaw
- Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears
- Congestion or stuffiness in the ears
- Headaches, which frequently may be misdiagnosed as migraines
- Difficulty chewing
- An uneven or misaligned bite
Click here for a comprehensive list of the symptoms that can be caused by TMJ.
An untreated case of TMD may lead to a lifetime of chronic pain throughout the body. Meanwhile, progressive, significant damage is done to your teeth, jaw, and mouth.
This pain often manifests in regularly occurring headaches. Click here to learn more about the headaches caused by TMD, and how these headaches might differ from migraines.
At Devine Dentistry, we treat each case of TMD differently depending on the symptoms that are present and the specific needs of every individual patient. First, we will try to relieve any pain a patient is experiencing from the disorder. Once pain has been managed, we begin to address the root cause of the pain.
Dr. Devine is trained in neuromuscular dentistry, a specialty of dental science that focuses on properly diagnosing and treating TMD by addressing any alignment issues that may exist with the jaw and bite. A neuromuscular dentist is more qualified than any other medical professional to identify a case of TMD, and then provide lasting relief by using neuromuscular principles in combination with state-of-the-art dental technology.
Click here to learn more about the importance of neuromuscular dentistry.
Treatments for TMD may include any of the following:
- Replacing missing teeth or filling gaps between teeth
- Adjusting the bite
- Oral appliance therapy
- Surgery (reserved only for the most severe cases, representing less than 1 percent of all TMJ sufferers)
Do you think you, or a member of your family, may have TMD? If so, this is not a problem that will go away on its own. Professional diagnosis and treatment are the only way to obtain lasting relief. Contact the office of Devine Dentistry by calling (615) 269-4209 to schedule a consultation.
Devine Dentistry is here to care for patients living in the areas of Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Nashville, Tennessee.