Serving Brentwood, Belle Meade and Green Hills Areas of Nashville TN
Many patients have areas of tooth decay or damage that is too large to be repaired adequately with a filling. On the other hand, the damage may not be extensive enough to require a crown. In these situations, the team of restorative professionals at Devine Dentistry can use an inlay or onlay to restore the damage, and preserve as much of your natural tooth structure as possible.
How do inlays and onlays work?
Inlays and onlays are recommended to repair these “intermediate” areas of damage:
- An inlay can restore the chewing surface on a tooth—i.e., the area between the cusps (the small bumps on top) of a tooth.
- An onlay can restore any area of damage that involves multiple cusps of a tooth up to, if necessary, the entire chewing surface of the tooth.
In addition to being used to repair new areas of damage, your Nashville dentist at Devine Dentistry also can install an inlay or onlay to replace older dental work such as an old filling that may have begun to fail or fall out of the tooth.
At Devine Dentistry, we offer the following different varieties of inlays and onlays:
- Porcelain: Made of the same high-grade dental porcelain used on many of our other restorations such as bridges and crowns, this provides a natural looking, yet functional restoration to strengthen and protect your tooth. Our dental porcelain reflects light in a similar manner to natural tooth enamel, which means that your new restoration will be indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
- Composite: Made of a composite resin that is quite durable, these restorations may be used as a less expensive alternative than the porcelain type; they can withstand a great amount of force, and installing them usually can be completed during a single visit to our office.
Composite inlays and onlays are less expensive than their porcelain counterparts, but we urge you not to let cost be the determining factor on which type of treatment is right for you. The type of material used for your restoration is usually dependent upon your individual need, and not decided based on cost alone.
Devine Dentistry accepts a wide variety of different methods of payment, including third-party financing options that can pay off procedures via monthly installments that fit into nearly any household budget. Sometimes, these monthly installments qualify for interest-free payments.
The benefits of inlays and onlays
Compared to a crown, an inlay or onlay has the following advantages:
- A greater quantity of the original tooth structure is retained. This is always a good thing whenever it is possible. Installing a crown requires replacing the entire exterior of a tooth, versus only a portion of the tooth with an inlay or onlay.
- The installation process is less invasive compared to that of a crown and takes less time since less of the tooth needs to be prepared for the final restoration.
- An inlay or onlay also is less expensive than having a crown installed.
Inlays and Onlays in Nashville
Learn more about inlays and onlays, or any of the other restorative treatments offered at Devine Dentistry by contacting our Nashville office at (615) 269-4209.
Devine Dentistry is proud to serve patients living in the areas of Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Nashville, Tennessee.