Serving Brentwood, Belle Meade and Green Hills Areas of Nashville TN
Have you lost most or all of your teeth? If you have, and this makes you embarrassed, you should know you’re not alone. More than 36 million Americans have lost all of their permanent teeth. The majority of those people obtain dentures to restore their smile and chewing abilities. However, dentures can’t offer you all of the long-term health benefits as other tooth replacement options. Read on to see how our Nashville dentists can give you new permanent teeth without dentures.
The Disadvantages of Dentures
Just because dentures are the most commonly chosen method of tooth replacement doesn’t mean they are the superior choice. There are drawbacks to dentures.
Your Nashville restorative dentists have identified these five downsides of economical dentures:
- Permanence: Dentures are not made to last forever. Even the best-crafted set of dentures will need to be repaired, adjusted, and eventually replaced. If you’re lucky and don’t have to have your dentures realigned or repaired, your dentures still will need to be replaced every 5-8 years.
- Stability: During a meal or conversation, you may find your dentures slip, shift, or even try to come out of your mouth. This can be highly embarrassing or uncomfortable for you—not to mention anyone with you.
- Trauma: Friction from dentures can cause your gums to become irritated, leading to uncomfortable mouth sores.
- Deterioration: Living with missing teeth eventually leads to jawbone atrophy. This deterioration of your supporting bone can threaten the stability of any remaining natural teeth, also causing premature aging or unnatural facial changes. In no way can dentures protect your mouth from the deteriorating because of missing teeth.
- Appearances: Although economic or “budget” dentures have advanced, dentures do not always create a natural-looking smile. Today, improperly fitting dentures are the most common cause of a smile that appears abnormal.
Your Alternative? Dental Implants
A dental implant represents the elite way of replacing missing teeth.
Implants also address many of the issues that are drawbacks to dentures:
- Permanence: With proper oral hygiene, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Stability: Because the dental implant screw itself is surgically installed in your jawbone, you won’t have to worry about your implant slipping, shifting, or falling out.
- No Trauma: Dental implants should not lead to trauma in your mouth. When placed in the jawbone, an implant provides the stimulation that previously came from the tooth root. This will keep your jaw from atrophying.
- Appearance: Each dental implants is topped with a crown that can be tailored to look like any remaining natural teeth. This makes for a beautiful, functional way to replace your missing tooth.
If you’re living with major tooth loss, it doesn’t make sense to receive a separate implant to replace every missing tooth. That’s why, for these cases, Devine Dentistry offers the All-on-4 implant system. This consists of a full dental arch of replacement teeth, which are anchored by four dental implants placed at strategic locations in the mouth. Other than a traditional implant, which requires several months of healing to complete the entire procedure, Dr. Devine can complete an All-on-4 installation in a single day. Not only do you replace your lost teeth, but you do so in a way that’s durable, permanent, offers stability, saves you from jaw deterioration, and will not cause recurring gum trauma.
Teeth in a Day in Nashville
The All-on-4 system is just one aspect of our overall commitment at Devine Dentistry to offer only the most modern oral health care methods and techniques. That’s why if you live in the areas of Nashville, Belle Meade, and Green Hills, TN, contact our Nashville implant dentists to replace your missing teeth. Call (615) 269-4209 today to schedule your initial consultation.