Serving Brentwood, Belle Meade and Green Hills Areas of Nashville TN
Technology continues to evolve at a rapid rate, affecting every aspect of our society, including the science of dentistry. For your physiological dentists in Nashville, who specialize in the alignment of the bite and jaw, BioPAK represents an exciting new diagnostic method. Devine Dentistry is proud to offer BioPAK technology in Nashville as part of our program of treatment for temporomandibular joint disorder and the associated issue it causes.
What is BioPAK?
BioPAK is a diagnostic aid that monitors a range of parameters of the stomatognathic system, including the function of the jaw and the surrounding musculature, a muscle group that often is referred to as the muscles of mastication. By using the BioPAK, your Nashville physiological dentist can identify signs of TMJ disorder, and the severity of this disorder.
The technology also can help in the following areas:
- Diagnosing certain sleep breathing disorders
- Identifying other sources of craniofacial pain
- Evaluating patients in the areas of restorative dentistry, dentures, implant dentistry, orthodontics, and Occlusal reconstruction
How does BioPAK work?
BioPAK can be applied in the following ways:
- Joint vibration analysis – This system analyzes the vibration of the jaw joints. The analytical process itself is based on the basic principles of motion and friction. If the jaw joints are smooth, the friction and vibration created when they rub together will be minimal. This is a fast, non-invasive way to measure the function of the temporomandibular joint, providing a wealth of knowledge for the diagnostic portion of treating a patient with TMJ disorder.
- Electromyography – Used to determine the effectiveness of craniofacial musculature in a patient, this method evaluates the musculature when the system is at rest, while the jaws are clenched, or performing the act of normal chewing. It is considered perhaps the optimum objective method to measure the actions and reactions of the muscles of the head and neck. This can be used to test bite positions during the early stage of treatment of TMJ disorder.
- Jaw tracking – Using three-dimensional imagery, jaw tracking provides comprehensive information on a patient’s mandibular movement. Also referred to as JT-3D, jaw tracking through the BioPAK system analyzes movements of the jaw when chewing, swallowing, and speaking while also evaluating the range of motion. This can assist in identifying any abnormal function in the jaw, while also helping to find or design optimum chewing patterns. Jaw movement can be one of the greatest indicators of dysfunction in the temporomandibular joint.
- M-Scan – Designed to record the activity of the craniofacial muscular system, this is easier to interpret than electromyography tests, allowing quick comparisons of bilateral muscles to determine if the symmetry of function exists. This information, when applied by an expertly trained physiological dentist, allows the dentist to produce ideal results tailored to your specific needs.
TMJ Specialists in Nashville
TMJ disorder can be one of the most challenging ailments to diagnose in all of medical science, and technological advancements like BioPAK provide yet another tool to successfully identify this disorder, which often afflicts its sufferers with chronic, debilitating pain. To learn more about how Devine Dentistry can help patients with TMJ disorder, check out this list of frequently asked questions. You also may consider learning more about the importance of physiological dentistry.
Are you concerned that you or someone you love may have TMJ disorder? You can check this list of common symptoms of TMJ disorder, or call our office at (615) 490-0809 to be evaluated in person by our physiological dentist Dr. Devine.
Devine Dentistry is proud to provide the finest oral health care services to patients in the areas of Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Nashville in Tennessee