Serving Brentwood, Belle Meade and Green Hills Areas of Nashville TN
If you are missing one or more teeth as a result of an injury, gum disease, or any other reason, your dentist in Belle Meade has tooth replacement options for you. While tooth replacement options do just that, replace a missing tooth, not all options are created equal. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that replaces the tooth’s root. Let’s explore the advantages of a dental implant, and you can decide for yourself if they are worth the cost.
Benefits of Dental Implants
When it comes to replacing a missing tooth, no single option is the perfect choice for every patient. The needs of each patient vary, as well as their ability to afford treatment.
But, dental implants are an excellent option for patients who want:
- Aesthetics – Dental implants are aesthetic, meaning they look completely natural. The implant post itself is surgically placed into the jawbone, which then acts like a tooth’s root, although you will not see this part of the implant since it remains under the gums. On top of the implant is a custom-made dental crown. It will look just like a natural tooth. Plus, you can bite, chew, and speak as you did before.
- Convenience – Since an implant is permanent, you never have to worry about taking it out for cleaning. In fact, you just clean it like you do your other teeth – brush twice a day and floss daily. With other tooth replacement options such as a partial denture, you have to remove it after each meal to remove food debris from it and soak it each night while you sleep.
- Durability – Dental implants are quite durable. In fact, the implant post itself is made of titanium and should last a lifetime. The implant’s crown is quite durable and can withstand normal pressure from chewing and eating as usual. A partial denture, on the other hand, risks getting broken or even lost each time you have to remove it. Dental bridges are known to be durable, but if the porcelain breaks off the outside of the crown or begins to leak underneath the either of the crowns, the entire piece has to be remade. Usually, a dental bridge can last upwards of 10 years or more but probably will need to be remade a time or two throughout your lifetime.
- Comfort – Dental implants are absolutely the most comfortable tooth replacement option available. Nothing else will feel quite like your natural teeth than a dental implant. You will not find this same level of comfort form other types of tooth replacement options. Partial dentures have metal clasps that fit around your other teeth to hold it in place. These clasps can irritate your gums. Also, a partial denture can change how you sound when talking and pronouncing your words. A dental bridge, although it looks natural, tends to trap food debris under it and has to be cleaned quite frequently.
- Jawbone health – Since a dental implant is embedded into the jawbone, it provides stimulation for the bone just like your natural teeth. Without this stimulation, the jawbone would eventually shrink away or resorb into the body. This is often the case after years of wearing a partial denture or a dental bridge since neither of these options stimulate the jawbone.
Dental Implants in Nashville
As you can see, dental implants have many benefits that far out weight the overall cost of treatment. However, it is up to you and your dentist in Nashville to decide which tooth replacement option is best for you. To learn more, contact Devine Dentistry by calling (615) 269-4209 to schedule a consultation. We welcome patients of Nashville, Tennessee, as well the communities of Belle Meade and Green Hills.